Today is a very special day indeed. The "Sister's " just love their Daddy. He's the best...
Daddy on the left with his buddy, Rance.
Sister has been working really hard re-doing her screened porch in time to have us all over tonightto celebrate. It looks fabulous! I'll share pics next week.
She's serving guacamole for an appetizer:
- 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Grilled hamburgers are a family favorite..
Sister is making them extra special with Rachel Ray's pickled onions for a condiment...
For the Pickled Onions and Chilies:
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 red onions, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 2 Fresno peppers, sliced
To make the pickled onions and chilies: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the vinegar, water, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and coriander seeds and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Arrange the onions and pepper rings in a small container with a tight-fitting lid and pour the brine over the top. Cool, cover, and store chilled for a minimum of several hours and up to several days.
Another family favorite (our grandmother used to make this all the time)...Good old 7-up cake...
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 20 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, lemon extract and fold in the 7UP ™ soft drink.
- Pour into a well-greased 12 cup Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 60 to 75 minutes.
Our family is full of traditions and loves to be together...
How about you? How will you celebrate Father's Day?
It's your turn. Let's talk!